Connect

Mid-century brought a visit from Lady Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting and Girl Guides, and a reorganization to manage the growth in Girl Scouts.

1954

Lady Baden-Powell, founder of Scouting and Girl Guides, visits Hingham in1954. Her hand written letter states "It is great to be back here in Hingham again, and to meet with so kind a group of Girl Scouts and Leaders. I hope that Scouting will continue to grow and progress happily and successfully far into the future." - Olave Baden-Powell

1957

1957 brought changes to the Girl Scout House as town councils reorganized to area councils. Hingham scouts became part of the area Mayflower council and discussions began on what impact this has to the Girl Scout House. It was decided to leave ownership of the house with the local community because it was built with community funds and volunteers. All records and equipment would be transferred to the council and the Mayflower council would lease the building for $25/year.

The Hingham Girl Scout Council would no longer exist thus the  non-profit corporation was renamed from the Hingham Girl Scout Council, Inc. to the Hingham Girl Scout House, Inc.

Also in 1957, the first incident of vandalism happened at the house. The weekend after Halloween, the house was splashed with paint, marring its white exterior.

1958

The Hingham Girl Scouts had for many years a sailing group called the Mariners, taking advantage of the proximity to Hingham Harbor and offered sailing lessons to Girl Scouts.  In 1958, the rules for Mariners were required girls to pass the Red Cross intermediate swimming test, the Red Cross boat test, or wear a life-jacket if a non-swimmer. Red Cross courses were held at the Hingham Girl Scout house.

1959

In 1959, the minutes of the board meeting itemizes the janitorial responsibilities of Mr. Cox:

  • Cleaning the kitchen once a year
  • Checking the heating system to prevent frozen pipes
  • Mowing the lawn out front
  • Spraying poison ivy
  • Burning the trash