In January 1930, scouts held their first meeting at the Girl Scout House and a dedication ceremony took place in March 1930.
"The main room is about thirty by forty, with seating capacity for about one hundred and seventy-five people. On the right is a large fireplace with alcoves containing bookshelves on each side. the room has six windows, and is illuminated by indirect lighting. Opposite the main door is a stage fifteen feet square. On the left of the stage is the kitchen containing a porcelain sink and a gas stove, and necessary equipment for Scout work. Back of the kitchen is the lavatory and first-aid room. On the right of the stage is a small room for use of the Scout captains. the interior is finished in stained pine, and the furnishings are replicas of the pine pieces of early days, simple benches and tables. "
"At a recent Better Homes in America Contest the Girl Scout House in Hingham was awarded a certificate of merit which is proudly dispayed and at the same time it was the recipient of a bench, the gift of Mrs. James J. Storrow."
"The House itself stands as a memorial to the generosity of the people of the town, a great many of whom have no daughters, many of whom have daughters who reached womanhood before Scouting started, and many with little daughters looking forward to the great privilege of being girl Scouts. It is also a monument to the interest of the men who built the House, giving generously of their time and energy that our girls might have a safe, clean place to meet in the girl Scout House in Hingham."
Source: "The Story of a House", The Trailmaker, November 1930
The Girl Scout House was dedicated "with thankful hearts, to the beauty and truth of right living, to the knowledge of the satisfaction and sacredness of work, to the understanding of the joy of service," and "to the attainment of the principles of noble womanhood".
During the 2014 fundraising campaign to Save the Girl Scout House, the Patriot Ledger newspaper published an article that was read by long time Girl Scout Ruth Johnson of Quincy. Ruth reached out the Girl Scout House committee and shared her fond memories of being a Girl Scout in Hingham from 1935 to 1939.
Ruth was a member of Troop 4 and recalls walking to the Girl Scout House after school for troop meetings. Having four brothers, it was refreshing to be in the company of girls for an afternoon!
These photos are courtesy of Ruth Johnson, showing her in 1935 and 2014.