The Hingham Girl Scout House is the first Girl Scout house built in New England, and the fifth or sixth built in the United States. Hingham Girl Scouts break ground in 1929 and dedicate their new home in 1930.
To raise funds to purchase the land and build the Hingham Girl Scout House, an illustrated historical 1635 to 1927 map of Hingham was created.
The map was researched by Amy Howard and Emma Stringer and it was drawn by Beatrice Ruhl.
1928 Hingham GS Council Established
In 1928, the official "Hingham Girl Scout Council, Inc." was established. This photograph of signatures shows the early founders of the council.
1928 Fundraising Campaign
"The campaign [to build the house] opened in July of 1928, with solicitation of money from townspeople and scouts and interested adults having various benefits and events. These included girls selling candy at the Hingham Bathing Beach every day at high tide ($6.25), pony rides on the Common ($1.10) and a Country Fair at the Lowrance estate, Glebelands, in South Hingham (over $169).
"The contributions came from Hinghamites great and small, including three dogs. Kip, Porridge and Jane ($1 each) and $1 from 'A Farm Horse'.
"Five months later, when the public appeal closed, more than $3,200 had been raised - a tidy sum for any period, but particularly in those pre-Depression, pre-inflationary days."
- reported by the Hingham Mirror, March 13, 1980
in celebration of the 50th anniversary
The Boston Globe, August 11, 1929
A decision of large public importance has been arrived at in Hingham. The Hingham Girl Scouts are moving into a home of their own.
That is to say, the scouts will take possession of the home as soon as it is built, and the building it is only a question of asking the people of Hingham to invest a few dollars each in the social and cultural improvement of their town.
Anybody at all familiar with the energetic spirit of the Hingham girl Scouts and their adult sponsors and friends, it is self-evident that the matter is settled.
The girls have had their land for a year, with $6000 left over to start a $13,000 building fund. On a rainy day in June, they marched proudly out to their lot, and dedicated it. They have weeded out moth-infested wild cherry trees, and have neatly piled up an accumulation of dead-wood, all ready for the fireplace.
Ground Being Broken
Now, in point of fact, the ground is being broken for the building.
It will be no surprise to anybody if the two local troops and the Hingham Brownie Pack are sheltered under their own roof before the snow flies again.
A proud distinction will then be theirs, since there is not another city or town in New England where the Girl Scouts have a clubhouse of their own constructed expressly for this purpose.
Indeed, there are only five or six in the whole length and breadth of the land.
The house in Hingham will be situated on Burr road, Hingham Center, facing the town's attractive recreation center, which is flanked on one side by the new High School.
Godfrey K. Downer of Hingham, the architect, who is donating his services, has designed a story-and-a-half wooden, gable-roofed Colonial house, in keeping with the architectural scheme which Hingham has preserved and cherished to a large extent, both in its dwellings and public buildings.
Source: The Boston Globe, Sunday August 11, 1929, "Hingham Girl Scouts will launch drive for purchase of own home"
The architect that designed the Girl Scout House is Godfrey K. Downer of Hingham; he donated his services.
The granite foundation was donated by Mr. Chatfield of Plymouth Quarries, valued at $1,000.
The house was constructed by Mr. Henry B. Hardy of 14 Hersey Street in Hingham
The fireplace was constructed by C.H. White.
Electrical work was done by Ian G. Foley of 330 Main Street in Hingham.
Plumbing was done by Joseph Crehan & Sons of Lincoln Square in Hingham.
Painting was done by Frank P. Breed.
The grounds were landscaped by William Daley of Thaxter Street in Hingham.